Sunday, February 7, 2010

health grades

One of the first things you'll notice about eating out in LA is that every restaurant has a piece of paper with a big letter on it posted somewhere--usually an "A" or a "B" (I haven't seen a "C" yet). LA has a law where every restaurant is given a letter grade based on its sanitary-ness, and that grade is based on a scale of 0 to 100. You can look up any restaurant's grade online and see what health violations it had on its last inspection.

At first I thought the whole thing was a bit strange. Then I thought it was an awesome idea (accountability!), then I thought it was a terrible idea (the postings are tacky looking and frankly, I don't want the cleanliness of every restaurant rubbed in my face). Now I think it's not that great of an idea, but probably better than nothing. The Denny's next door to our apartment has an A, and Daikokuya has a B.

There's a running joke that the "C" grade stands for "Chinese."

No comments: