Saturday, June 12, 2010

LA public trans update

I have to make major modifications to my previous post on riding the Metro in LA.

1) The bus gets CROWDED. I was running late a couple mornings, and by 7am the bus is totally slammed. As long as I am running on time (which means getting on the bus at 6:30 or earlier) it's pretty empty. It doesn't help that the line I take passes a high school, so lots of students use the bus.

2) The bus is usually filled with a group of older Hispanic ladies who all take the bus at the same time, know each other, sit together and chat in Spanish, and all get off at the stop in Beverly Hills where all the driveways are private and gated. Somehow I don't think they live there...

3) Unlike NYC, very few people on the bus are listening to ipods, mp3 players, etc. 90% of people just stare off into space during the ride.

4) I got a subsidized monthly TAP pass from work, so now I pay 72 cents/ride.

5) There are few enough buses that run so that I know I'm going to get 1 of 2 drivers when I ride in the mornings and in the evenings back. Maybe we'll become BFFs! ;)

6) Public trans here is not void of the same kind of craziness that happens in NYC. The other day a fistfight broke out between two men right in front of me. Luckily it didn't get too intense. It was pretty funny seeing all the older Hispanic ladies yelling at the men saying "shut up! sit down! stop that!" at them. Somehow, I don't think the men were listening.

No comments: