Sunday, June 13, 2010

the best meals of my life

Yesterday, I had one of the best meals of my LIFE. And it cost me $5.50. And came in a Styrofoam box. Thank you, Dino's, for this majesty:


There have been a few times in the past when the stars aligned and I ate something that completely floored me. It usually happens like this: A mouthful goes in, a billion sparks go off in my brain and I think, "Is that as good as I think it is???" I take another bite, the same sparks go off, and I think "Ohmygod--it is. It really is." One more: "THIS IS THE BEST EFFING THING EVERRRR." And the rest of the meal goes by in a timeless blur and I completely forget what is going on around me. A nuclear bomb could go off and I don't think I'd notice.

I'd call it a near out of body experience. And it's not just the food that makes the moment happen. I have to be in the right mood, with the right cravings, the right level of hunger, and in the right environment to gorge myself, and then it might happen. Meaning that the next time I eat this Styrafoam boxed chicken, it won't nearly be as awesome as the first time. And that certainly doesn't mean the chicken isn't good. It's good. Really good. It's just that nothing compares to the first time.

No comments: