Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thanksgiving dinner for 2

We didn't have the resources to fly to New York to be with N's family for Thanksgiving, and I had just been up to San Francisco twice in the past month to see my family for my dad's 70th birthday and my sister's baby shower, so we decided to stay in the area for the holiday. I was hoping to rent a cabin for the weekend somewhere near Big Bear, but nothing budget-friendly really came up. 

We considered not cooking Thanksgiving dinner and going out for Korean BBQ, but tradition prevailed and we got an 11 lb turkey from the grocery store (the smallest they had). This was N's first time ever cooking a turkey. I had a terrible experience undercooking a turkey a few years ago, so I kept nagging him to make sure it was cooked all the way through. His first priority, though, was making sure to not overcook the breast meat. He pulled out the bird from the oven when the breast meat was done and he was overly worried that he had overcooked it, but when it came time to carve, the dark meat was completely undone. Then I had a good time saying "toldya so" to him.

No harm done though, the dark meat went back into the oven and we ate the breast! N made the bird, stuffing, and mashed potatoes and gravy, and I made the cranberry sauce, yams, and green beans:


No comments: