Sunday, November 28, 2010

Lithuanian Fair

In early October, N and I went to the Annual Lithuanian Fair. I really had no idea what to expect--I don't know anything about Lithuanian culture, but I thought it was so interesting that there's enough Lithuanians in LA to have a large fair every year. It was held at a church not too far from our apartment. There were craft tables for kids where they could make flower garlands and do a May pole-ish kind of dance. But, of course, I was there for the food:


Top: potato pancakes with fruit compote and sour cream; bottom left: sausage, sauerkraut, pickles, and boiled potatoes; and bottom right: pierogies topped with bacon and sour cream. Lesson learned: Lithuanian food almost always comes with sour cream, no matter what it is. 

But the biggest part of the fair, by far, was the beer. The crowd was pretty rowdy by the time N and I left! There was a stage with live entertainment and singers, but most of it was in Lithuanian so we had no idea what was going on. 

Another note--I believe this fair is the only time that we were the only Asians/racial minorities in sight since we've moved to LA. The crowd was definitely pale skinned, blond haired, and tall and willowy. Not surprising, I guess!

No comments: